Pee Little Thrigs and a Maldatian

Zoë was perched on the corner of the new stone wall by the front steps, Sphinx-like with her eyes wide and ears pitched slightly forward.

“What’s Zoë looking at?”

“I don’t know, but she sure is interested.”

We peered out into the twilight, seeing nothing, but hearing the crackle of the twigs and the crunch of the leaves in the duff. Zoë was obviously following something in the woods in front of the house - maybe it was somethings.

“Too early for Simon.”

“It’s probably the dogs that ran off when I went to the mailbox.”

“Dogs with an ‘s’?”

“Three, four, maybe more. Haven‘t seen them before.”

“Big?”

“Sortta.”

“Uh oh! Regular pack huh? Hope nobody’s in heat, Gryphon’s gonna be nutz.”

“Don’t think that’s it. Funny dogs … fat … well fed … there they are!”

I looked where “B” was pointing, in the margins along the upper driveway, There was a big black something, 2 smaller black somethings and a big white with black spots something. I started laughing, looked down at Gryphon who was on alert, but sitting beside me and said, “Those? Those are dogs? They’re pigs!”

“Nuh uh!” was the indignant reply and she grabbed the cultivator and marched off.

“Where’re you going?” I said, a little alarmed as she was brandishing her weapon up the drive. I followed after, hoping to prevent a Sus scrofian war.

“Redford’s one too many pigs for me … IF they are pigs!”

“B” stopped. I stopped. The pigs emerged from the junipers and they, too, stopped and stood their porcine ground - probably assessing whether or not we had food in our hands. The white pig with black spots snorted and grumbled.

“Look! It’s the pee little thrigs and a maldatian, out on holiday," I said, laughing. "They‘ll go home when they get hungry.”

“B” stamps her foot and the 4 pigs bolt back into the junipers. “No holiday in MY yard …” she mutters, then smiled and repeated, “pee little thrigs, my ass! What the hell is a maldatian … OH!” She punches my arm.

We walked back to the porch and sat with our drinks. She looked out into the trees beyond and, after a few reflective moments, said, “They did LOOK like dogs … didn’t they?”

I smiled and handed “B” her glasses.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

top