The Large Awkward Media Wall

Hi Christine,

You are an absolute riot! You totally crack me up. I am so lucky to have found your blog. I wish we could do this in person! Love your style. I noticed you have become increasingly popular so I am sending this real quick before you become the next Candice Olson and are way too busy for lil' ol' me! I wanted to wait until the house was in perfect order and all clean but the fairies never came to magically make that happen for me. Darn them!!

I was thinking I should raise the tv up and put it on the wall. Then a tall espresso colored bookshelf on the right side of the entertainment center?? Floating shelves above it all? A huge painting or one of the photo wall templates you posted to the right of it?


Thanks so so much in advance! Enjoy the holiday season. Oh yeah!! That reminds me! WHERE THE HECK SHOULD I PUT MY CHRISTMAS TREE TOMORROW?? (I'm sure I'll have it before you reply but I'll move it if you say to!!)

Thanks,
Kathy


Dear Kathy,
Where should you put your Christmas tree?? Hmmmm.. In the attic. Sorry- but I have quite a pile of questions to respond to. I really like your home. Your view is amazing. I cut your questions up to respond in different posts. I wanted to focus on the TV wall today. I have the perfect plan for you.

The wall needs to be and have two things.
  1. Functionality. You need the TV to stay pretty close to where it currently is.
  2. Scale. We need the wall decor on this wall to have better scale in relationship to the wall itself.

    My solution? Start with a very long media cabinet. The one above is 86 inches long- from Global Views. I liked this one not only for the length- (I don't have your measurements- but you might want one even longer) but also for the colors in the teak. They would be perfect in your place. The TV would be hung on the wall- on the left. To the right- go with your idea of floating shelves. Keep in mind that- now that you have a piece of furniture on the wall- the relationship we are concerned about primarily is the wall decor to the furniture. We actually have two relationships here- the furniture to the wall and the wall decor to the furniture. Got it?

These shelves are from Pottery Barn- not the right color- but I wanted you to get the visual. You can have your wall decor extend a little on either side of the console- but keep it pretty symmetrical- and keep the decor on them simple. You want to maintain the clean simpe lines of the room. I would do three shelves.
Don't worry- I am sure that I can get to your other questions before I take over Candice Olson's job. ;)
Thanks for the compliments though. :)
Christine

0 comments:

Post a Comment

top