Is it all in the details

Details every one wants details, some people are detail orientated but not me! I am definitely not detail orientated, I want things done and as fast as possible.

This morning as I was sitting in the dentists chair having a filling replaced, I watched the instruments going in and out of my mouth, the heads on the drill getting smaller and smaller as my dentist was contouring my new filling enough for me to get floss through my teeth. I decided then, there was no way I would ever have made a good dentist or a surgeon for that matter. Those delicate movements, those little details that mean so much, I am more your bull in the china shop type girl. Which contradicts my other "talent" in that I can be as patient as anything. So why if I am so patient can I not be bothered with the details of small things. For my job, I've made way to many mistakes with incorrect spelling - you know the final detail of spell check before you hand out your work. That's because I am so excited about finishing that I am printing that sucker and placing it on my bosses desk like a happy school girl. Only to have it placed back on mine with red ink on it. My colleague on the other hand is the complete opposite, everything is about details and we have to go over and over the same project changing words out that really most people couldn't care about. I write our company blog as I am talking to my audience over a cup of coffee. My colleague writes with the facts, in her words "I am a chatty writer". I would like to think most people would prefer my "chat" than the barebones.

Growing up I wanted to be a police woman, but being pretty poor sighted in one eye took that career off the table. My husband thinks I would have been an awful police woman anyway because we will be somewhere and he will notice details about people that I never see and its not the eye sight. I look at faces, he looks at stuff. He will say to me "did you see the size of that rock on that womans hand in the elevator" or a shoe comment or even bags and I truly never notice. The details just don't interest me.

So to those who I see and read this "I don't care that you are not wearing your make up" because I don't notice. I am sorry if you get an email with names that start with a lower case, its a detail I don't care about. I don't need to know the details of every recipe you cook, only the ones I ask for, most of all I just want to know if it tastes good. I love to scrapbook but I am not so good with all the little details that many of my friends need for their books. If you see me dress, most of my clothes are without details!

So there you have it details - not for me!

Oh and one last thing - thank you for all the comments about Hurricane, I will spare you the details of how he died. One detail that I can't bring myself to do is take him off my stick drawing or change my name to 2 Brits, 2 Yanks and 1 dog. Thank you everyone who commented, it really meant a lot to me during those first few days.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

top