Muy Caliente

I had a post all prepared in my head – something about “Father’s Day” – that is, until I walked out of the office and met the wall of heat. All my thoughts just began to melt away and the coup de grâce was sliding into the seat of the truck and the thermometer reading 113 degrees in the shade. Day…ummm! The official temp was 107, but I happen to work in a geographical anomaly that is typically a heat trap and is 5-10 degrees hotter than the official temperature. My focus was then on getting home to let Gryphon out and into the cool of the house. I watched the temps fall as I climbed the escarpment and by the time I was home it was a respectable 104 degrees – my brain and the post slowly leaking away onto the sizzling asphalt. Gryphon was very glad to get into the house. Fortunately his “day house” only hit 81 that unbelievably hot day, so I think he was gladder to see me than escape the heat. I just wanted a beer and cold air!

Every day for a couple of weeks has been like this, full of good intention to work outside or write or work on a project and then the heat takes precedence as soon as I exit the building. I’ll still write the “Father’s Day” post, but Jimminy Louiseapoo my mind needs to solidify first!

I walked to the back of the house to check on the critters, who are usually gathering about the time I get off work. What I saw was Redford (the hog) wrapped around the #2 water tub. I have to say that I really felt sorry for him and his kin given the lack of natural water sources in the area. I watched for a while and soon he got up and stuck his whole head down in the water. I then unpacked the camera and by then he was in the #2 wash tub – first 2, then 4 wet cloven hooves. Yep! Packed pork in the tub and he stood there for a very long time. I would have never believed he would have fit his 250+ pounds in those confines, but he made it happen!

We’ve become hyper-aware of the need for water for these critters, as they will drain both birdbaths, a 3 gallon feed tub and the 15 gallon wash tub overnight. I see another tub happening this weekend. There is no natural source of water on the escarpment and the river below is quite a ways away. Fortunately most of the neighboring ranches maintain stock ponds and many of us here keep the water available; like my neighbor who keeps a 500-600 gallon tank full all the time. I’ve been amazed at the line of honey bees drinking around the rim of the birdbath in the back – sometimes 20-30 of them at a time.

Spring was too short and there wasn’t nearly enough rain during those months. I fear for our well this year and although we are sitting on the Edwards Aquifer, one of the most prolific artesian aquifers in the world, there isn’t an unlimited supply. We are watering only on a limited basis. We did get a little storm this morning, but it was only a half an inch all total.

I know many of you are being affected as well by these abnormal temps. Be safe! Be cool!

Dry!

Hot!

Dry and Hot!

Muy Caliente!!!

Is fall in the room???

0 comments:

Post a Comment

top