love and flabby arms

My ten year old loves to squeeze my upper arms. Even though it's the part of my body I dislike the most, I grit my teeth and let her because she does it out of love. But all that squeezing must have left her with some nagging questions.

Mama, when I grow up, will my arms look like yours?

What do you mean, honey?

I mean do all grown ups have those flaps on their arms?

(I once again grit my teeth and smile.) Your arms don't have to have them. If I did special exercises, they wouldn't be that way.

(She tilts her head and looks confused.) Why don't you do those exercises?

(By this time, I'm getting a little defensive.) Do you think I look bad, Izabella?

No! (She runs to me and hugs me close.) I love you, Mommy. (She pulls away and pats my arm and I can tell she's just genuinely curious about the changes a person goes through to get an adult body. To her ten year old mind, people don't look good or bad, they just either love her or they don't.)

But I've been doing my special "upper body" exercise tape ever since!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

top