Musical Monday: Samajona

Samajona was a German pop girls band formed in 2001 and was obviously a Teutonic attempt to create a combo like the Spice Girls. The Spice Girls' first hit single was Wannabe and Samajona's was Warum? (German for why).

Samajona (the name was an amalgamation of their first names Sabrina, Marleen, Joe and Nadja) had some success with the single Warum? and their first album but their bid for glory petered out in 2003.

How on earth do I know this song, I hear the blogosphere whisper? During the start of this millennium I had limited TV access but for some reason my crummy satelitte setup picked up German MTV and I often watched this on returning from work at The International Herald Tribune around midnight. Switch on the TV, a few Austrian beers and some rousing German pop songs and I was up for marching into Poland.

The Frog Queen is no fan of the German language but I think it is a thing of beauty and I enjoy its cadences. I don't speak German but I know a few phrases having read The Eagle and The Valiant as a little boy (eg: "Schnell Britisher Schweinehund!").

0 comments:

Post a Comment

top