Exclusive DH! Interview: Mallika Sherawat Unveils the Latest

Bollywood beauty Mallika Sherawat's career has set her name abuzz. Not only has she made waves in Bollywood, but in the West as well. Mallika gave us at DesiHits! her insight in an exclusive interview.

Taking on major Hollywood projects has led Mallika Sherawat to the United States where her name has blown up, offering her many opportunities to expand her career. Currently residing in Los Angeles, she's more than excited for what's to come and very grateful too.

Mallika has been working on Jennifer Lynch's "Hisss," in which she plays a full-fledged yet gorgeous snake woman. It's a role that Mallika has really been able to embody and get meaning from.

"The snake goddess legend is a very popular legend, not only in India. The story is told and retold in many ways. 'Hisss' is very contemporary. Jennifer Lynch has given it a very contemporary twist. I'd say it's female empowerment mixed with superhero action," she said, when asked about the film.

Mallika's work for "Hisss" has been both vitalizing and grueling. "I've been through pure torture. Pure torture. The makeup took four hours. When I got into the snake suit I had to be carried. I couldn't pee for 14 hours. When I got the role I was so happy and jumping with joy, thinking who wouldn't want to play this. Then I was sitting in the chair and thinking what did I get myself into?" she said, giving a laugh while reminiscing on the tough but rewarding process.

Her career has taken her to Hollywood, so that's what she's focusing on right now. She has another movie coming up where she will play an attorney modeled after San Francisco attorney Kamala Harris, the noted female Obama figure. She said, "I'm starting another project in October. I'm preparing for that. I'm taking accent reduction classes. I'm taking HipHop dance classes. Most of my movies now are with American directors. That requires me to be here."

"I love Bollywood.
It's the most important aspect of my life."

Her role as an attorney will show her in a different light than "Hisss," but all the more proves that she's taking immense strides with her acting career. Mallika is also thrilled that she's meeting new people, and enjoys learning how to drive on a different side of the road.

She's met the mayor of LA, Usher, and Yanni, but also finds great value in her meetings with writers, directors, and agents that are new faces to her and have given her a lot of scripts to read.

The busy actress is reaping all she can from her Hollywood experiences, but still has her heart in Bollywood, and her mind wide open. "We are all hanging out in the same places on the Internet. Everything is so global. Bollywood is bread and butter and I love Bollywood. It's the most important aspect of my life. I'm here because my films currently are by American directors," she said.

Mallika misses India and has had the chance to catch up with it via internet. Twitter has become a key part of how she communicates with home. "The hardest part for me being in the US is I'm away from my fans and missing them a lot. Twitter helps me connect directly to my fans."

When she walked in Twitter's headquarters the other day, they cracked a coconut for her to recognize the Indian tradition that marks the beginning of an auspicious event. She met with the CEO and showed them how to do some Bhangra moves, which they took up quickly.

Leaving us with warm hearted laughs, we know Mallika will continue to charm and impress us, whether she's inspiring a new milkshake flavor or a comic book superhero.

She said, "Thank you for talking to me and thank you to DesiHits! and my fans. The message is... just watch 'Hisss.'" And follow her on Twitter @MallikaLA!

We're really excited to see "Hisss" and what else she has to offer. Let us know what you think below.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

top